Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Practice how you will Play

I played basketball when I was in high school. To this day I love basketball. My dad instilled in me a discipline that I practice today and that I have handed down to my children. As a freshman I moved to a new school and of course I wanted to play basketball! But none of the coaches at this new school had seen me play before and tryouts were a week long process. I was scared that I would not make the team since the coaches had never seen me play previous to try outs. My dad wisely instructed me to practice/tryout as if I were in the actual game - playing. "Practice how you plan to play" meaning go out there and practice as if your team depends on your performance for the win! Give it 110%! I can honestly say I had the most energy and hustle of any girl that tried out that week and YES I made the team - Jr. Varsity since I was a freshman but I got to sit on the bench as an extra/just in case for Varsity! Practice how you plan to play. Today as I train for a half marathon - I want to stop and rest while I am training, but I don't plan to stop and rest when I actually do the official half marathon so why would I practice that way! Today this principle is just as valid as it was over 20 years ago in my life. Last week I blogged about Norman Vincent Peale and I have been practicing more positive thoughts, living and imaging. On Sunday my husband came home with some pretty scary financial news. The kind that your mind instantly goes to worse case scenario type scary! I will admit at first I feared and was in a bit of a panic. But I had been practicing positive thoughts, living and imaging so now it was time to play! Remember all these thoughts, living and imaging are hand in hand with Gods word and require belief in God and His word - good old fashioned FAITH. Let me tell you I felt calmer very quickly and by Monday afternoon God was showing that he was in charge of our finances - and that we needed to FEAR NOT in a big way! As Christians every single day we have to live our faith - most days its pretty easy, but if we don't pay attention and purposefully live it on those easy days - come true game time we won't be prepared! Practice how you plan to Play! D. J.

No comments: