Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Daily Devotions - Do Them!

Each week day I usually read a devotion at www.proverbs31.org and then get online to pray with a co-worker over our office, our coworkers, and each other. Let me tell you, God can speak to you in a powerful way through devotions, especially when you are truly seeking Him out and opening your heart and mind to His promptings.

This week I have had a couple of devotions that have hit me right square between my eyes. Today's was particularly eye opening. I think my last post I discussed my goals for the year. I feel these goals are all things God wants me to pursue and to succeed at. Almost daily I read over the goals and pray for God's direction, encouragement, and guidance. So far, so good, right? Well by the end of the day, sometimes as early as by the middle of the day I have taken control of my day back over. I know I am on a path that God wants me to be on but then I take over. I should be listening to Him throughout the day. My struggles get harder the more I take back control. My patience decreases. My stress/anxiety increases. Until I read today's devotions I was trying to analyze the reason for this afternoon/evening failure theme. I was thinking it could be because I am not organized enough, that I am trying to do too much, my expectations are too high. There might actually be a bit of truth in some of that thinking but bottom line is that I took over and stopped talking to God by this time of the day. It seems so clear now, but before I read that devotion it was not. The devotion is eye opening. While I am making progress on my goals it is certainly not the kind of progress that I feel I should be making. Now it makes sense.

My habits of having control have to be broken. I have to replace those habits with praying to God and giving Him control. This may take many many many times a day. God showed me that this will not be an overnight process - that it's not intended to take overnight. I am to LEARN along the way - there are lessons to be learned along the way. At this point I don't think I have fully grasped what God is trying to show me. But I know - beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have to surrender control to Him, I have to seek him more through the day - a lot more - than what I am. I must admit this is frustrating because it is so hard to break habits and it's even harder to let go of control. But keeping my eyes focused on God - knowing God does things so much better than me, knowing that He has more in store for me than I could ever achieve or give myself - well that should be enough to keep me focusing.

That's my post for this week! Hope it speaks to you!

Lots of Love,

D. J.

No comments: