Thursday, April 29, 2010

Being Pruned and poked in the eye!

God is always wanting us to grow and he wants to help grow us. In the growing process sometimes pruning is required. Well, what can I say, tis the season for me to be pruned. It hurts. Not to mention if you try to ignore it I think God hold those things that are being pruned off in front of us until we acknowledge them. Sometimes I even get poked in the eye by them. It really hurts. You know when a lot of plants get to the point of needing pruned they have a lot of ugliness on them or hiding just beneath the surface. The ugliness keeps the plant from reaching its full potential. Then sometimes, right after the pruning, the plant really looks ugly. But, when pruned correctly ( God can only prune perfectly you know ) then the plant is more beautiful and strong than it ever was before.

I can tell you I know I have become real ugly. All this pruning has made me see I am letting anger rule my world. I am good at being mad - really good. When I am mad I feel no other emotions - which I think often is a good thing. Not so. I am pushing down fear, pushing down pain. While I try to stay pretty on the outside those who know me see the ugly. They are hurt by the ugly. At the beginning of this pruning I thought - Oh, that isn't too bad, I can fix that. But the pruning continued and the branches of my anger kept piling up. I can't deny I must make some changes. The pruning hurts. I think the growing is going to hurt too. But, in the end - if I allow God to continue to prune me and shape me - I will be strong and beautiful.

It's a season. The length of the season depends a lot upon me and my willingness to be pruned and to grow. I sure don't want to try to reattach all those branches. But I know it will be hard to stop "growing" the branches that need to be pruned.

I am thankful God is patient, determined, and committed to me and my growth.

Lots of love,

D. J.

No comments: